Graduates of Accredited Canadian Universities
Membership Application for Graduates of Accredited Canadian Programs
Note: The Speech-language Pathology program at McMaster University has not yet completed accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of University Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. Graduates of that program will apply to NBASLPA according to the process outlined for graduates of international programs and non-accredited Canadian programs.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the New Brunswick Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (NBASLPA). In the province of New Brunswick, an individual must hold a certificate of registration with NBASLPA prior to starting work as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. It is an offence under the Act Incorporating The New Brunswick Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists and An Act Respecting Health Professionals to practice or identify yourself as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist in New Brunswick without being registered with NBASLPA.
The following items are required to process your application. Please take time to review the requirements for registration carefully and ensure your application is complete and accurate. Your application will not be considered until all required documents are received.
A completed Membership Application Form. All required information must be included.
- A photocopy of your Master’s degree diploma. If you have not yet received your diploma, please forward a signed letter from the director of your university program stating that all coursework and clinical practicum hours for your Master's degree in audiology or speech-language pathology have been completed and the date when the degree will be conferred. This letter will be accepted temporarily until a photocopy of your diploma is received.
- Official transcripts of all your university coursework, including graduate and undergraduate coursework. Official transcripts are issued directly from the university’s registrar’s office and are sent directly to NBASLPA.
- An official record of all supervised clinical practicum hours endorsed by the practicum coordinator or the director of your Master’s degree program. A Summary of Clinical Practice Hours Form is available on the NBASLPA website. Additional letters outlining training and/or experience not included in the record of clinical practice hours may be included as supporting information at your discretion.
- Effective April 1, 2020, successful completion of the Canadian Entry-to-Practice Exam for Audiologists/Speech-Language Pathologists (CETP Exam – AUD/SLP). As the CETP Exam is ony offered twice a year, NBASLPA applicants, if they meet all other registration requirements, may receive a temporary licence until the next available date for the Exam.
- Proof of 750 clinical practice hours in the three years immediately preceding the date of applicationif your Master’s degree was completed more than three years ago.
- Verification of registration in good standing from all current and all previous regulatory bodies if applicable. Registrants with conditions, limitations or restrictions on any current registration do not meet the definition of good standing. Forms must be sent directly from the regulator to NBASLPA.
- Proof of professional liability insurance in the amount of $2,000,000.
- Proof of identification in the form of a copy of valid passport identification page or other valid photo identification showing current legal name and issued by the federal or a provincial/territorial government of Canada.
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency in Canada or Canadian Work Permit.
- A non-refundable application processing fee of $200. This fee must accompany your application for registration and is applicable whether your application for registration is accepted, rejected/denied or incomplete. Please provide a separate cheque for this fee.
- A membership activation fee of $300. This fee is applicable each time a new membership is activated and will only be charged in the event your application for registration is approved.
- An annual membership fee of $450 for full membership ($225 after August 31) or $270 for non-practicing membership. This fee will only be applied when your application for registration is approved.
- Once membership has been approved, a completed Database Form. This form is required for government purposes, and will be provided to you by the NBASLPA office.
Revised March 2019