Cross Provincial Practice Registration
In the province of New Brunswick, an individual must hold a certificate of registration with NBASLPA to perform any component of the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology. It is an offence under the Act Incorporating The New Brunswick Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (The Act) and An Act Respecting Health Professionals to practice or identify oneself as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist in New Brunswick without being registered with NBASLPA.
Several provinces have agreed to allow audiologists and speech-language pathologists to provide a limited amount of care across provincial boundaries through a Cross Provincial Practice Registration to enhance access to care for clients/patients.
To apply for a Cross Provincial Practice Registration with NBASLPA, you must be a fully practicing registrant in one of the following provinces:
Registrants must abide by rules, bylaws and legislation in primary and secondary provinces (click here to access a chart outlining notable differences in rules across provinces: Key Links document).
If the primary province in which you are fully registered is not included above, you may apply for a Visiting Clinician Registration listed on the NBASLPA website under Courtesy Registration.
Applicants who hold full registration status in one of the regulated jurisdictions listed above, may be granted a Cross Provincial Practice Registration not to exceed a maximum of 200 direct client/patient care hours over a 12-month period. The care can be delivered in person or virtually. The number of direct client/patient care hours in New Brunswick must not exceed the number of direct client/patient care hours in your primary province.
A Cross Provincial Practice Registration requires you to track all direct client/patient care hours whether they are provided in person or virtually. This refers to any direct care you provide to the client/patient or to their caregiver or family. For example, assessments, treatments, care via a support personnel, advice to significant others such as the caregivers and family, consultation to other professionals regarding your client/patient. You must always be prepared to provide this completed form if requested. (download: Cross Provincial Practice Tracking Form)
Note: Patient care hours do not include consultation to other professionals regarding their clients or patients.
* Please refer to the Cross Provincial Practice Registration Guide for further details and to ensure that you meet the criteria for this registration prior to requesting an application form.
Application for Cross Provincial Practice Registration
Your application will only be considered once all documents are received. The following items are required to process your application.
- A completed Cross Provincial Practice Registration Application Form. All required information must be included. Please request the application form directly from the NBASLPA Registrar at email@example.com.
- A “Verification of Registration – Cross Provincial Practice” form sent directly to NBASLPA from your primary province’s regulator.
- Proof of identity by submitting a copy of a passport or other government-issued photo identification showing current legal name.
- Permanent Residency in Canada or Canadian Work Permit if proof of Canadian Citizenship has not been provided by a copy of a valid passport.
- Proof of current personal professional liability insurance (PLI) with a minimum amount of $2,000,000. The PLI certificate must contain the applicant’s name, profession, statement verifying validity in New Brunswick for in-person and/or virtual services, and coverage dates for insurance providers other than those listed on the NBASLPA website, whose compliance with these requirements have been confirmed by the Registrar. All PLI must have an extended discovery and reporting period of a minimum of two years. Refer to document: PLI requirements
- A non-refundable application processing fee of $50.00. This fee must accompany your application for registration and is applicable whether your application for registration is accepted, rejected/denied or incomplete. Please send payment by e-transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A non-refundable registration fee of $150.00. Please send payment by e-transfer to:email@example.com This fee will only be charged in the event your application for registration is approved.
Effective July 4, 2022